Sunday, September 14, 2014

everyone is king when there's no one left to pawn

+ What's on: Beat the Devil's Tattoo, by BRMC

A couple scattered notes:

Love all the theories and conversations in the comments, was reading them at work Friday and my coworkers kept asking me if I was okay. Not a lot of reasons for any of us to smile at that job, so they weren't really sure what to make of my good mood! You guys are amazing.

Speaking of the job, I had a way out and chose not to take it. Misguided obligation, partly. Bad timing mostly. Good things come to those who wait and wait. Will keep my eyes open and keep pressing on.

Reached out to the last beta this weekend (last week? time is funny). I knew when I handed the story out that my betas were going through some crazy times themselves, so I wasn't expecting a quick turnaround from any of them. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back! They're worth their weight in gold, so thanks for waiting with me. ♥

Three months later I almost feel like writing again. Still a lot of dead-ends on most of my other projects (my three choices are all rewrites--I don't think I'm ever getting out of revision hell!), but I'd like to at least get back into the swing of things by editing Andrew & Renee's story. It's so long it'd probably have to get posted in pieces, but it could be fun. I'll have part of it done by Wednesday,** promise. Finally got the external harddrive working.

There was more, but I forgot it. Spent this weekend out of town helping the younger sis move for grad school, so I'm a little braindead right now.

**eta: Thursday. Was editing first part, then realized there's a continuity error in the story due to the rewrites between that story and this draft of the series. Couldn't remember where in the books the change happened so spent three hours scouring books 1 & 2 looking for that one line and then got caught up trying to add more kiss scenes to book 3. Blame the Yuengling. On the bright side, I found the line, so we're on track again. fml.

Blanket is still slow going, mostly because I haven't made as much time to work on it. It's big enough now that it's too awkward to work on it at work, and working on it at home means not using my hands for anything else for a couple hours. The bands are starting to get uneven because I have an obsession with pulling the yarn tighter than it should be. Not overly concerned though, since the blanket's just for me and I expect wear & tear over time to help loosen it up some. ♥ Sar, haven't tried a Knitting Knook yet, figure it's better to master crochet first before moving on to anything else. Besides, scarves make me feel like I'm choking, so I'd end up making scarves that no one would ever wear..... :O One day I'll try it, though!


10 comments:

SarSar said...

Holy shit! I would say you've got the hang of crocheting!! That looks great!!!

8488ba1a-1541-11e4-8c7e-47451df392ea said...

I stayed in the world's worst job for seven years, convinced that the real right job for me would be so undeniable that I wouldn't even feel like I was making a decision. I was right--the right job just about whacked me upside the head. It was well worth the wait, and I wouldn't have ended up somewhere so great if I hadn't sat through seven years of misery.
And, btw, by the time I left that miserable job, I was the last one on my shift--the only one who hadn't been laid off or fired, but there was still the same amount of work to do. Yuck.
So you have coworkers, and that's a good thing. And your patience will pay off in the most amazing opportunity ever. :)
Hmm, now if I can just sweet talk your beta ...
Still not sure why I'm posting with strange numbers. :)

JamieCowanReed said...

Thanks for the update on the story the blanket, and the job! lol

Just know the story is gonna be wonderful!

Blanket looks great!

As for the job.....eh, could be worse!
While I was going to college I needed a job with flexible hours, and I found one.....whinding weed-eater string. The next time you are brain numb at work, just imagine doing that for 8 hours at a time when there is no coworkers close enough to talk to! Darn sure made me stay in school!!!

Good luck on future projects!

maryvel said...

I'm so happy you posted another update!

The blanket looks amazing. O_O
I've never had the patience for crocheting or knitting or any of it, I'm not a very detail oriented person...

I also have no patience when it comes to frustrating work I'm afraid... I just quit my job because it became unbearable for me. I'm kind of jaded in that regard and I've lost all hope that I'll ever find a job that I'll love doing. Working has and will always be nothing but a chore for me and an interruption of the things I really enjoy doing. So I work as few hours as I can get away with and just resign myself to switching from one crap job to the next every few years. Free time is so much more important to me than money. But really, once a job becomes truly unbearable, I usually have to get out of there as quickly as possible, even if I have no plan for what comes next. Otherwise I feel like a part of me is dying on the inside. I'm horrible... I should become a motivational coach! ;D

Anyway, I've been distracting myself by playing ten year old Playstation games on an emulator for the past two weeks, but it doesn't keep me from checking your blog for updates all the time and besides, the nostalgia is slowly drowning me...

Keep your hopes up! There are people with jobs they love and you'll find something new for sure. At least something with fun coworkers. The only thing that could ever be good about a job is if you have cool coworkers you can have fun with. That usually makes it entertaining enough to not hang myself for a few years. I'll stop now...

Tabbygray said...

Good to hear from you again. The blanket looks fabulous! How long has that taken? You sound like you're starting to feel a bit more balanced - hope so.
Good luck with the job. I'm on holiday, it's Wednesday, and I've spent nearly a whole day dealing with work issues (someone trying to take over my job while I'm not around). Ah joy. But you gotta pay the bills.
Never mind, the rest of my holiday has been good and seeing your post has cheered me up (she says, sounding like a stalker again.....).
Looking forward to more Andrew and Renee, and more comments about Renee and Jean...hopefully...

SarSar said...

By the by the title of this post have me the shivers, Nora. I rushed through it, I was so impressed by the blanket! Now I am pondering it in context of your story...

Marina Elena said...

Oh yes please add more kissing scenes! Can never have enough of those!

This just got me crazy excited all over again. There will be kissing scenes! Plural! :D

Blanket's awesome by the way. You have to post another picture when it's finished!

marynoel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marynoel said...

Crazy Numbers ;D : I've got about 45 coworkers on my project--poor bastards (ha.). I'm glad you finally got out of your awful situation!

JamieCowanReed : Thank you! You're right, I'm sure the job could be worse. I'm just hard-pressed to figure out how at this point ;D

maryvel : Trust me, if I could leave this job I would. Unfortunately it's not an option so long as I'm the only source of income for my household. One day soon, I hope..! You're right, coworkers can make or break a job. In this case, unfortunately.......

Tabbygray : It's taking so long! Last I checked it takes an hour to finish each row, and there're ten rows in each band of color. Hunt down whoever's encroaching on your space and hustle them out!

SarSar : It's the first time I've really listened to the lyrics of that song, but they're perfect..!

Marina Elena: [proof I should not drink and write at same time, bc I def made up your second name in first attempt at comment] But I haaate writing kissing scenes! It was so tempting to just delete the entire relationship during the last round of edits..

Marina Elena said...

Don't you dare! o_O

And considering the quality of your writing, I'd say you should most definitely drink and write. Just kidding...