Thursday, March 28, 2013

Icarus is flying towards an early grave

+ What's on: Icarus, by Bastille

... I think I'm done with the Exy rules & regulations worksheet, but waiting to hear back from Z on whether or not I've left something major off. Even drew you guys a chart in PSP for how the court looks at starting serve.

 ... Realized I am still misspelling Edgar Allan's name. My brain is convinced it is "Allen" not "Allan" - which means even The Foxhole Court went out there with it misspelled. Le sigh. Have uploaded a corrected version. One day I'll get this right, I swear.

 ... Talked to the younger sister about designing the Ravens' logo for the book 2 cover. She doesn't have the vector software she used for the paw, but she thinks she knows a way around that.

 ... Still reveling in the fact Raven King is done. That was an uphill fight every step of the way. There's a lot happening in that book, I think - blood and games and inter-team issues, etc etc. I've started reaching out to the Foxhole betas to see if they're up to the task, but I'm starting to get a little uptight, too.

 ... Like I sort of mentioned back here, Foxhole was free because I figured no one would read it otherwise. I always planned on putting Raven & King's Men out there with the lowest Smashwords price (99c), but I worry that people will be annoyed if the series goes from being free to costing something. I kind of feel presumptuous putting any sort of price tag on it. Maybe it's the whiskey making me nervous, or maybe I really should feel like a douchebag. I don't know.

 ... Either way, if I manage to make anything off of books 2 or 3, it'll go straight into my meager "Move Back to Japan Fall '14" fund. Funny (appropriate?) that a boy who has no home can help me find mine again. I think I can save enough on my own between now and then if I keep my quality scores up at work and can somehow maintain my call volume (we currently get paid per call we take, but we keep hiring more people and we're not taking enough calls to balance that increased labor force out), but I'll take help anywhere I can. Even a couple dollars is a week's worth of groceries or a train ticket to an interview.

 ... I started prematurely wondering which project is going to come next. There's an apocalyptic fantasy I've been promising people I'd rewrite and finish for forever, a YA UF about witches and death in San Francisco, a UF that's been rejected so many times it needs a complete overhaul before anyone else will consider it, a sci-fi that needs to become a fantasy unless I somehow learn science between now and then, and an epic fantasy that will probably kill me before I get a handle on it. The more I think about any of them, the more I'm driven to drink.

 ... Can't bear to think about All the King's Men yet, so have resumed playing Mass Effect 2 on Hardcore. It involves lots of shooting and a lot more dying. I noticed they're coming out with a Star Trek game, though, which is completely relevant to my interests.

Quasi-related to the last note, this is Andrita Shepard, who I think might be my favorite one so far. She's more renegade than paragon and very human-oriented.
 
Her xenophobia is repulsive, but it's fascinating watching it play out. I think it's realistic for a human Marine, anyway, when humanity has such a short history with alien species. Like District 9 - that MC was so easy to hate, but at the same time his cowardice and decisions were understandable.

Andrita's stance will evolve over the course of all three games. She just needs more time with a mixed crew to finally get out of her humans-first mindset. I think she's going to be my chosen third --- I've been cultivating Shepards until I have one for each ME3 ending. There are three or four others who finished ME2 but who I think I'll discard as being less than satisfactory. (that is, their choices aren't nearly different enough to make the final play-through interesting)

The other two winners are Morgan and Trankweelah: Morgan is an uber Paragon dating Kaidan, who is all PEACE and UNITY but for some reason likes to fight Banshees and Brutes with her fists. Trankweelah is a paragade dating Garrus who snipes the crap out of people.

Um, but I digress. And it's almost midnight, so I'm to bed. 'Night, kids.

11 comments:

Goddess Athena said...

If you are going to charge their is nothing wrong with charging $2.99. It's a decent price to pay especially if it is just as good as the first one or better. Please, please, hurry up and get it released especially on Amazon.

lime-yay said...

I don't know how pricing works at Smashwords really, but can you do like a suggested price or something? Like, I feel like you have fans like me who have been following your work for years and that story is definitely worth much more than 99 cents to me, and I think as an objective piece of work it's worth more money than 99% of books I've bought because of its quality, but at the same time I also agree with a low price because I want as many people as possible to enjoy it (for my own selfish reasons-- want people to fangirl with).

Now I'm a poor college student, so you won't hear me ask this often, but I would like to pay more for the book. I can't afford the god knows how many years of entertainment you've given me, but I feel like I owe you some more than the min price.

Also, I don't know how one goes about promoting ebooks and such, but let us know if there's some way for us to help. I've done a little word of mouth sort of thing, but like if you need us to vote for it or things like that. (IDK, is my cluelessness showing yet?)

lime-yay said...

^ ok, read that (after I posted it) and it's nearly incomprehensible (to me, and I wrote it). Sooo... sorry if you have no idea what I was going on about.

But I've been meaning to ask you. I was too shy to ask for permission to access the LJ courtingmadness for the longest time, so I joined kind of late and had only read 2.5 stories before it was gone. I liked all of them (duh), but I forgot the name of the other one I finished. It was about a bartending mother who lived in a monster house (in retrospect, that sounds a mite absurd, but I loved it). What happened to that story?

Evalangui said...

Maybe you can go with the 99c price AND have a donation button for people who feel like contributing more? I do feel it's fair to ask to be paid. Instead of the usual chapters you gave the whole first novel away, after all!

marynoel said...

Sorry for the late response, lovies. Drove 5 hours south to surprise my mother on her birthday and just got back to NC.

1. Goddess Athena : I forgot Smashwords doesn't pass things along to Amazon.. I'll have to look into retracting the mobi format from Smashwords so I can direct-pub to Amazon's kindle store. Maybe when the 2nd one comes out?

2. Lime-yay : There's a way to do "name your own price" for books on Smashwords, but I think that limits how many catalogues they distribute it to, since other retailers will want to have a set price.

I'm not really sure how one promotes ebooks, either. You'll notice I didn't really do much to promote it on my end, I think I mentioned it once on twitter and once on each of my blogs, ha. My bad. Really, knowing that you've read it and that you liked it enough to recommend it to others is enough for me. ♥

The book you've described is Elysium - I tried shopping that one around to agents with little luck. Right now it's on the back-burner until I figure out how to rewrite it. I considered smashing it together with another project to salvage it, but I haven't decided yet.

3. Evalangui : It still feels a bit presumptuous, maybe because the stories were free (if locked) for so long. ):

ellamequiere said...

Lurker comment time! I just wanted to ask... Have you thought about starting a "Mami-san's Fall 2014 Japan Move Fund" Kickstarter? I get the feeling from your occasional blog posts that your RL situation has been in the way of your writing, like, a lot, and I think a bunch of us would love to contribute towards you getting someplace that will make you happy, especially if it means we get more of your crazy trippy amazing sexy shit to read.

And also because man... I have been following your fic for *years*. Your crazy and occasionally creepy imagination was-- no lie-- an important part of my childhood xD;;. I *MAY* still sometimes reread GDR when I want to wallow in sad, and SNAFU when I want to laugh at the WTF of the universe. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I care what happens to you, you know? And I want to help you, if you give me a way to xDD. So I vote, make your book cheap so broke people can read it, but give us slightly-non-broke people a way to pay you back a little.

LOVE LETTER OVER, WE CAN ALL BE REALLY GRUFF AND MACHO ABOUT THIS NOW

ellamequiere said...

Lurker comment time! I just wanted to ask... Have you thought about starting a "Mami-san's Fall 2014 Japan Move Fund" Kickstarter? I get the feeling from your occasional blog posts that your RL situation has been in the way of your writing, like, a lot, and I think a bunch of us would love to contribute towards you getting someplace that will make you happy, especially if it means we get more of your crazy trippy amazing sexy shit to read.

And also because man... I have been following your fic for *years*. Your crazy and occasionally creepy imagination was-- no lie-- an important part of my childhood xD;;. I *MAY* still sometimes reread GDR when I want to wallow in sad, and SNAFU when I want to laugh at the WTF of the universe. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I care what happens to you, you know? And I want to help you, if you give me a way to xDD. So I vote, make your book cheap so broke people can read it, but give us slightly-non-broke people a way to pay you back a little.

LOVE LETTER OVER, WE CAN ALL BE REALLY GRUFF AND MACHO ABOUT THIS NOW

marynoel said...

ellamequiere : Oh, no. I could never do a Kickstarter. For one, it sounds too presumptuous for me, especially for such a shallow cause. I feel Kickstarter is best when used to create something amazing or for charitable causes. Besides, if my plans change or fall through I would want to give back everything for fear of feeling like a fraud.

I think I get in my way more than my real life does. If I could learn better time management skills or if I had fewer things I liked getting involved in, it might help. Problem is everything I want to work on is very time-consuming. I need to write myself a schedule and assign certain projects to certain days, I think.

Oh, SNAFU ♥ I loved working on that story.

Thank you ♥♥♥♥♥♥

ellamequiere said...

It showed! Is it bad that I sort of had an awkward lesbian crush on Schu's mom in that story? (God she must have been SO HOT when she was sane. AND WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH CRAWFORD'S MOM, I have so much half-formed headcanon, it's almost enough to make me want to do fan-fanfic, I am totally serious). Also ohmygod, every time I read the phrase "turtle peach" my life gets just a little bit better.

I hear what you're saying. But one way or another, you should give us a way to give back a little. Fair's fair.

ellamequiere said...

It showed! Is it bad that I sort of had an awkward lesbian crush on Schu's mom in that story? (God she must have been SO HOT when she was sane. AND WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH CRAWFORD'S MOM, I have so much half-formed headcanon, it's almost enough to make me want to do fan-fanfic, I am totally serious). Also ohmygod, every time I read the phrase "turtle peach" my life gets just a little bit better.

I hear what you're saying. But one way or another, you should give us a way to give back a little. Fair's fair.

marynoel said...

ellamequiere : Sorry about the late response! I thought I'd already answered, but I didn't see my comment anywhere on here. (Beaten by my own blog..!)

Oh man, Crawford's parents were awful creatures. Power-hungry and vindictive for sure. Lucille - Schuldig's mother - was definitely a heartless, badass bitch when she was younger. Too bad things turned out the way they did..