Monday, January 28, 2013

Palmetto State University

+ What's on: Impossible, by Shontelle

All for the Game was a comic up until I graduated from high school. It started the slow transition to novel format while I was studying at Clemson University. Palmetto State University is Clemson's fictional alter-ego: the geographic location is the same and I envision the campus layout to be pretty similar.

I loved everything about Clemson while I was there (except for my major, go figure) and I even considered looking for work in the area post-graduation. I ended up going overseas for a while instead, but hey. Clemson is also where I fell in love with the color orange. Orange is brilliant, I think. It's not exactly a happy color, but it is unapologetically bold.

The dots might not be 100% accurate. MS Paint and I are not exactly friends. But you get the idea.

Anyway, I wanted to share a couple (poorly taken) pictures of the Clemson campus to help build a background visual for the story.



Looking across the amphitheater toward the library. Part of the Clemson library is underground, and there's a cafe on the second floor up from ground level.
 
Clemson House, aka Fox Tower. It really is across the road and up a hill. In the winter it's easier to see, but in spring and summer the trees help hide it from sight. In real life it's a co-ed dorm, not an athletic dorm, and it has its own small dining hall.


Told you. It's like a ninja.
If you were facing this direction and went to the left you'd hit the "downtown" part of campus, where there's bookstores, restaurants, and shops selling all kinds of Clemson paraphernalia.

Straight ahead are the freshman dorms. To the right is one of the dining halls. Downstairs is the athletes' dining hall. Further right is the student center, which might have gotten axed in this draft. (conference rooms, a cheap theater, a food court, the main bookstore, etc).

And what would this post be without some orange? Sorry, all I've got are football pictures. I can imagine, though.
 

Anyway, I could go on about Clemson and the like all day, but I won't. I'll end this with a confession instead: I've stepped foot in Columbia, South Carolina exactly once that I remember. The Clemson women's lacrosse club had a match down there. I try to make all mentions of Columbia as vague as possible in the books because I don't know how to describe the city. Oops. Maybe it's time for a road trip.

No comments: