Thursday, July 15, 2010

What you build you lay to waste

+ Listening To: In Pieces, Linkin Park

Oops, it's been a couple weeks. Seems I'm still not very good at this blogging thing.

I do have a small excuse, though - I'm querying a project of mine. Have gotten a dozen-odd No's so far, but also two full requests(!). One full's still outstanding. The other was returned with a no, but also an invitation to either resubmit if I could revise it sufficiently or to keep her in mind with any future projects. Since she's on my list of Top 5 (a list decided by the projects they represent and the outstanding praise authors have for them), you bet I'm revising.

I went through the entire thing again, tweaking conversations and trying to clarify points, then sent a couple choice scenes to my sister, who read the first & third drafts. (Remind me to write a post about my sisters one day. All three of us write.) When that was done, I printed the whole thing off and gave it to roomie K.M. Ruiz to edit. It's her first time reading it, so I'm not sure what she'll think of it. I was a bit leery of asking her for help, because she's up to her eyeballs working on her own books (her debut comes out next spring, so she's working on that and its sequel AND a variety of other future projects). She doesn't have a lot of free time leftover, and I didn't want to distract her from her plotlines. I needed help, though, so when she offered, I was like PLEASE OH GOD PLEASE.

She's working her way through it a couple chapters at a time, so every night this week when I come home, I've got printouts on my desk ready for me to review and fix.

With any luck, it'll be done by the end of next week, and I can re-query Agent A. There's no guarantee she'll say Yes this time, but there's no harm in trying, right? The trick is to get it done and get it back to her before I hear back from Agent B. And if she still says no? Well, I'll have a revised ms to submit to other people.

In the meantime, I've stopped sending out new queries. I know I'm just making the process longer for myself, but I think she's worth the wait. Guess we'll see how it goes.

While I wait, I'm supposed to be working on another project, but I keep bouncing between two different stories. Focus focus focus. Bah.

No comments: