Thursday, June 10, 2010

The things you said, I'm rehearsing them

+ What's On: Bury Your Head, Saosin

For me, the true danger in revisions is that it is revising, not creating. Sure, there is genuine writing going on, and major things can change, and sometimes the plot twists and turns to an unexpected new place, but—it is new inspiration on an old idea, old characters, old scenes.

Don't get me wrong; I love revisions. Heck, I've spent the last several years revising several different stories. I've changed genders, changed genres, tweaked timelines, and even juggled a couple character deaths. In one trilogy, I wrote out the main relationship! (Let's never do that one again. It's exhausting work.)

But years and years and years of revising can be poisonous, because I get so caught up in the fixing and perfecting that I don't create.

Right now I have three major stories on my plate. In a way, that's good, because when I get frustrated with a story, I can jump to another one, and they're all such different genres that I get the mental breather I need. But they're all old projects. One I just finished polishing, so I might be able to set it aside for a while. The other two are partially-complete trilogies that need reworking from the ground up before they can be finished. All I'm doing is going from rehashing one thing to rehashing another.

Sometimes all I do is open up the projects one at a time and go, "Oh, THIS one again. Bah." and close it without even scrolling past the first page. I have a tiny pity party where I feel like I'll never come up with anything new. Then I shrug it all off and go back to work, because if I didn't like the stories, I wouldn't have written them in the first place.

My saving grace comes in the form of NaNoWriMo. You can love it or hate it—I happen to like it. It's nice getting in touch with other writers, for one, and it's the one time these past several years I've allowed myself to put aside all in-progress works and start on something new. I already have a vague plot for this year's project, and I'm excited to see what comes of it. Between now and then, though, my plate is full.

Speakin' of.. Time to stop procrastinating and get some work done.

No comments: